Sunday, November 29, 2009

I did it!

I did it! I walked my half-marathon over the Thanksgiving break. It was awesome! You wouldn't think that one would need to train for "just walking" 13.1 miles, but let me be the first to say it wasn't as easy as one would think. Miles 7 and 12 were the hardest, by far. My mom did the majority of it with me with a combination of running and walking (thanks mom!). She also acted as my gopher, refilling my water bottle and bringing me a phone every once in a while. Extremely helpful! Gary and the kids came for the last 2 miles or so to help encourage me. Mason ran the last 1/2 mile or so and kept telling me to slow down and walk. I would have to keep telling him I already WAS walking. It was hilarious when he first started running with me and said...while laughimg and sounding surprised, 'Mommy, I didn't know you could run!?!?"

I walked all 13.1 miles on a really nice wooded, hard sand packed 1 mile track near my hometown. It's one of those little jewels that you take for granted until you move away and realize how lucky you were to have it.

My goal was to finish in 3:30, but instead I finished in 3:13 averaging 14:44 minute miles. I know I may look funny walking fast sometimes, but I am just thankful that I can.

So, thanks to everyone that helped along the way and to Gary and my mom for watching the kids and keeping me going the day of the race.

My next adventure will be in March walking the half at the Dallas Rock-n-Roll half-marathon. I'd love to have some company!

1 comment:

  1. Congratulations! I can't believe you did all 13.1 miles on that track. I've found running on that track is harder than other places I've run. Maybe it's all the humidity! Hope you had a great Thanksgiving!

    ReplyDelete