Tuesday, February 10, 2009

My sweet boy


This morning when I dropped Mason off at school, his teacher asked if she could talk to me for a few minutes. Instantly, my heart sank because I had a feeling what she was going to say. She expressed concern with the fact that Mason doesn't really play with any of the other kids during school. She said when they are all playing in the gym, he keeps to himself and watches everyone, and as a parent herself, it breaks her heart to see him like that. I, too, hate to think that he doesn't want to play with the other kids, for whatever reason. We talked about the fact that he does play with some of his friends in smaller groups, but even then, I think he plays near them or at them, but not "with them. She also expressed her concerns with his "sensory issues". I kind of chuckled, and said "you mean the arm flapping he has done since he was 6 months old?" She was worried that he did it when he was frustrated because she has seen more of it lately. But I told her, on the contrary, he flaps when he is happy or excited. You should see the boy flap when the trash truck rolls through the alley, or when his favorite part of a movie is coming up. Again, I told her that we are very aware of his flapping and she agreed that she doesn't see anything else that concerns her in that area. Being an ECI employee, I have always been completely aware of his "quirkiness" and have come to accept that he is just that, "quirky". I wish I could do more to help him get over being painfully shy though. And I am very grateful to his teacher for at least bringing it up because she could have chosen to ignore it.  

By the way, I don't know why the text is blue and I don't know how to change it :)

No comments:

Post a Comment